Go Back to Marques and Men PageTiger Cub

Orlando Fregona and Don Hall, from South Africa constructed the Tiger Cub in 1948. It was based on a lightened Fiat chassis with a Triumph Tiger engine and gearbox mounted to the rear. It was probably the first car to feature twin brake master cylinders and was the most successful car in South Africa, with Fregona driving, until the Cooper Mk Vs began to be imported in 1951.

‘Lucky’ Fregona in the Tiger Cub leads Mike Renton’s Triton in the 1951 or '52 Ladysmith Street Races. Photo courtesy Rob Young.

The Tiger Cub reviewed for Iota by P.C. Harrington-Johnson in February 1952.

Go to 500 Owners Home page