Walter Schlüter

Walter Schlüter, born 1911, was a fuel wholesaler (wood and coal) from Velbert in the Ruhr. He took up racing during the 1930s, notably in a special bodied BMW 328 and was instrumental in re-establishing AvD, Automobilclub von Deutschland after the war. Walter raced a Monopoletta during the 1950 season. He failed to finish the Nürburgring race on the 11th June as did the other sister cars of Helmut Polensky and Bill Lucas. At Freiburg on the 6th of August he managed a fifth place with Polensky winning, then third at Solitude a week later and then his moment of triumph, a win at the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring on the 20th August. This gave him third overall in the West German Championship for 1950.

Returning to the 'Ring in July 1951, Walter could only manage 15th, the top places going to Cooper Nortons with Eric Brandon taking the win.

Thereafter, and now aged forty, Walter switched to rallying, co-driving Polensky to the European championship in 1953 then driving himself to the championship in '54 driving for DKW.

Walter Schlüter passes away in November 1997

Walter on the grid at the Nürburgring in 1950.

Monopoletta 1.jpg (11149 bytes)

Walter in the cockpit at the German Grand Prix, August 1950. Photo courtesy Archiv Prototyp Hamburg

Walter and Helmut's Porsche 365

In action on the Stelvio

Our thanks to Lothar Mildebrath & Dirk Anthes

Go to 500 Owners Home page